Jasmin Hunt @prettychuffed
It's officially jeans season here in Brisbane, and this year, I've fallen hard for mum jeans - the high waisted, straight leg type that gives my legs a much-needed break from my beloved skinny jeans.
Straight leg, 'mum' or 'mom' style jeans are an early 90s style that has returned and is reminiscent of the classic jeans shape. They're fun and easy to wear, and in the right shade and/or shape for you they can work with just about any top and shoe combo you have in your wardrobe.
So where can you find a pair? My absolute favourites at the moment are from Kmart - for only AUD$20, right here. Here are five more styles you might like to try:
- Supre mom jeans AUD$50
- Zara mom jeans AUD$59.95
- Riders By Lee jeans AUD$99.95
- Vero Moda curve jeans AUD$72
- Target high rise jeans AUD$39
As for styling, my top tips are:
- French tuck! I nearly always half-tuck or french tuck the front of my tees or knits into my jeans. It creates a flattering line by drawing the eye into the centre of your waist rather than the edges. It also looks more styled - polished without any effort at all!
- With wider leg jeans, more streamlined tops can be a great match (as opposed to skinny jeans, where wider tops can balance our proportions). If you do have a more oversized top, do try tucking or half-tucking, or pair with a long line cardigan, cape or coat (or even a long scarf) to balance the outfit.
- Straight leg mum jeans go super well with a slogan tee and flats - stylish, easy and comfortable!
- Try the boho look by adding a cape or poncho and a felt hat. This never goes out of style.
- If in doubt, a white tee, white shirt or a striped tee always works with denim. Pair with your favourite shoes and you're good to go.
- If you find your straight leg jeans are too long to wear with flats, simply fold the bottom to show some ankle - this is much more polished than hems dragging along the ground or jeans being bunched around the ankle.
Here are just five ways I love to style mine.
Add a white tee, cape and a hat, and tan nubuck Avarcas
Add a knit, wooden cape or scarf and safari Avarcas
Cape: Dutch Dutchee
Avarcas Australia in safari
Add a white tee, bright cardigan and glitter Avarcas
Cardigan: Little Party Dress
Avarcas Australia in rose glitter, shop the glitter range here
Add a black long sleeve top, gold buckled belt, gold jewellery and black Avarcas
Avarcas Australia in black
Add a white shirt, checked blazer and black Avarcas
Checked blazer: Boohoo (not current)
Avarcas Australia in black
So what do you think? Have you found a favourite pair of mum jeans or are they on your shopping list?